Monday, July 13, 2009

Divorcing Hussein, Departing from Due Respect



May I ask one thing—at when do our middle names become separate from our identity?
Is it when they become politically incorrect?

Viewers, I am outraged and extremely bothered by the thoughtlessness shown by school board members who appear very indifferent towards the omission of the “H” initial in their newly approved elementary school name titles after President Barack Obama.

Regardless of whether I am alone in this opinion, I believe that this is (1) dishonoring of our president and (2) very disrespectful to the parent that additionally named Barack “Hussein.”

The controversy stems from two school boards, if not more, that have been on this exciting high, which has now manifesting into proposals of naming their elementary schools in honor, and after our president.

The Prince Georges County, Maryland school board, for instance, has unanimously voted to name their newest upcoming elementary school after our historic president. A Long Island, New York school board follows, although they’ve chosen to rename a preexisting school after the president. The two are not the first to be name after a president. Of few, there is the George W. Bush Elementary School in California and the Richard M. Nixon Elementary School in Iowa.
Although I don’t oppose the naming aspect, the problem arises when these presidents are credited with their full identity—their whole, given birth names.

I imagine naming a school after a president to be a commemorative action; after all the naming is not done in vein.
At the same time, I am aware of the controversies that surround Obama’s middle name, but Barack is human--one’s name is the head of one’s identity and we are penalizing our president for his. What I want to say most is, “to hell with Saddam, the alleged Islamic implications, and politics!”

Some wonder, is Barack complaining?...and if he is not, why should we?
I’m sure he himself has overlooked this situation and declared it a minor issue. However, the significance of this matter remains that it precisely represents the disgusting attitude that the nation has toward Obama’s identity.

Plain and Simple: He ought to care.

He achieved all his accomplishments, chiefly and distinctly, as Barack H. Obama, nothing short. I hate that he is as though two separate entities: Barack H. Obama overseas, and plainly, Barack Obama in his country of citizenship.

Take it from someone who grew up amidst the sound of mockery because of probably one of the strangest sounding African middle names and surname that I have. I was raised and practically forced by age and maturity to accept that (beautiful) part of me as apart of my identity. Receiving plaques or whatever type of monumental gift that carelessly overlook engraving my entire, distinguished name irritates the hell out of me—because there's always someone else that is out there that shares the same name and initial as me...just not my accomplishments.

To put things into perspective, tomorrow you may become great, and in the grand scheme of things, a mother in the next generation might name her child after you. But, that middle initial is what will distinguish you two apart.
For more info:

No comments:

Post a Comment